Welcome to Mary Lou's Sitting Room

Hello! You are entering the world of Mary Lou...hope you have fun here! I created this blog to be a place of refuge in the storm, inspiration in the fog, light in the darkness, and hope for your life. I love to encourage people and have fun-I hope you will find this true as you visit me here. I plan on writing about all types of subjects, because I am interested in all the good things God has made, so hang on for the ride~! I love to sew and also cook...hence the name..

Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday's Moment-Confessions of a mom-turned-mother in law

I love being a mom and I love having daughters-in-law....I think of them as daughters. I hate commercials and TV shows that portray mothers-in-law as monsters and as someone who stresses you out all the time by her meddling. I will tell you this: I never pictured myself as a mother-in-law and when it happened to me I tried a bit too hard...gave advice when it was not wanted, etc....and generally made a LOT of mistakes! So easy to do when one has a mouth....and opinions, ideas and even experience that one wants to share to help others not make the same mistakes....ah well....no one is perfect and I have def learned that the hard way!
My goal is to be there when my "daughters" need me and to NOT get in the way - to pray for them & give advice when asked....and to be their greatest cheerleader as they live out being wives & mothers. It's been important for me to realize that I do NOT have all the answers-and that we all make mistakes as parents...and that most of our mistakes will not "mark" our children for life as some would make you think. Scripture says that "love never fails" and it also "covers a multitude of sins". So if you're a mom or a wife, just know that you will likely make mistakes - but that love will cover. Never be afraid to say you were wrong & that you are sorry.  Know also that God's grace and strength are there for you every single day...all you have to do is go to Him and ask. Listen. Receive.

..and to my "daughters" this day I say this: You are beautiful, capable, skillful & talented young women and....I love you with all my heart-I am thankful for you, I pray for you and I am standing on the sidelines cheering for you to be a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment